Welcome to another episode of Inner Archeology, and the first that we are releasing with video! Should you wish to watch us rather than listen to us, we hope that seeing our faces helps you connect with us on a deeper level. Today, we’re talking...
Welcome to another episode of Inner Archeology, and the first that we are releasing with video! Should you wish to watch us rather than listen to us, we hope that seeing our faces helps you connect with us on a deeper level. Today, we’re talking about something we have touched on before: consciously choosing our own beliefs. This is an interesting concept, and one that isn’t as simple as it sounds. Whether you realize it or not, your reality is built on a system of beliefs that you have selected for yourself. Are you choosing beliefs that allow you to live a better life? Or are you clinging to limiting beliefs that no longer serve you? We dive into all this and more in this episode, from our personal experiences of deconstructing and rebuilding our belief systems to how we believe you can practice compassion for yourself, shift away from fear and judgment, and find equilibrium while adjusting your own belief system. You can hold beliefs that empower you, allow you to achieve your goals, and feel worthy of love; you just have to choose them! Tune in today to learn more!
Key Points From This Episode:
- How our reality is built on a system of beliefs that we choose, consciously or unconsciously.
- Why Emily says her negative subconscious beliefs felt like monsters hiding in a dark cave.
- The importance of practicing compassion for yourself.
- How Emily had to deconstruct and rebuild her belief system quite recently.
- The process of recognizing what didn’t serve her, exploring alternatives, and choosing beliefs that empowered her.
- Find out why Sarah believes that choosing your beliefs is something you can practice.
- A reminder that growth is not a linear process; it’s not like flipping a switch!
- Examining your defining beliefs about yourself: are they an authentic expression of you?
- Why Sarah cautions against using the phrase ‘I am’.
- How it can be helpful to visualize taking one belief off the shelf and replacing it with another.
- Leaving space for the unknown by consciously redefining it; the power of ‘I don’t know’.
- Sarah’s journey of deconstructing her perceived need to stay informed at all costs.
- Shifting away from judgment or shame and into what Emily calls the beginner’s mind.
- Why you shouldn’t shy away from asking what might be considered ‘obvious’ questions.
- How raising her daughters has forced Emily to reexamine her religious beliefs.
- Letting go of the fear and anger that often accompanies facing the unknown.
- The power of choosing compassion over judgment and self-righteousness.
- Anger as an opportunity to reintroduce equilibrium while adjusting your belief system.
- Asking yourself: how am I respecting and honoring my state of wellbeing?
- Why many of us, especially women, need to practice being more assertive.
- How setting internal boundaries has been helpful for us (more on that in our next episode!)
Links Mentioned in Today’s Episode:
How It Ends
Emily’s Instagram Post on Choosing Her Beliefs
Kevin James Thornton on Instagram
Inner Archeology Email
Inner Archeology on Patreon
Sarah Turner on Instagram
Emily Pennystone on Instagram
Inner Archeology - Video Edition